From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release v3.3.3
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2013 16:07:00 GMT
On 6/7/13 10:02 AM, Nick Kew wrote:

>>> FWIW it's detecting my compiler as gnu.  Which seems perverse:
>> Nod. Did you try explicitly with clang/clang++ (configure CC=clang CXX=clang++) ?
>>
>> -- Leif
> That works (though I also needed to set pcre explicitly: configure
> succeeded with the default but build failed).

hmmm, I've always have had to use --with-pcre=/usr/local  on my Mac (I use
HomeBrew).

> It then proceeds to fail test for further spurious reasons that appear
> to stem from mixing build components.  But nothing fatal.
File bugs as necessary.

> Anyway, whence the CLANG requirement and bizarre manifestation
> of the build error?  This is new in 3.3.x but I can't see it in CHANGES.

So, the story behind CLANG is complicated. Short story, the old gcc wrapper
that Apple used to support segfaults when compiling ATS. So, we forced it to
only work with CLANG/CLANG++. The compiler detection was later rewritten, so
maybe it's easily possible to test for "cc" or "c++" and be ok (since those
are just clang now). It's important however that it doesn't pick gcc/g++,
cause that will always fail during the compilation phase (since the compiler
segfaults).

File bugs on this too :).

-- Leif