From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C++/Java Modules
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2013 20:40:47 GMT
On 3/8/13 9:08 PM, Anil J wrote:
> Just realized that earlier reply just addressed to Leif. Addressing it to
> mailing list.
>
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org
> <mailto:zwoop@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 3/8/13 6:28 PM, Brian Geffon wrote:
>
>         I do not think this is a good idea, if you're really looking to
>         write code in Java I would suggest maybe using Netty and writing a
>         simple proxy that way as opposed to using trafficserver.
>         Alternatively, you could take advantage of remapping to just
>         rewrite the url to a special endpoint that will fetch the original
>         content and return a modified response to trafficserver.
>

>     This is what people use the ICAP protocol for:
>     http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3507.txt
>
> Are you suggesting to use ICAP interface instead of libCurl/HTTP, in the
> module? Or the having a module in the HTTP path, which goes outside for
> processing itself is not good idea? I still not clear about Brian's
> opinion why not to use trafficserver.

I'm saying, if you are going down the route of having "external" helper
applications to do content adaption, you should consider the ICAP protocol.

> In my use case, I just want to leverage the third party application
> servers (e.g. transcoders) to adjust the media content to suite the end
> user client's requirement.

Nod, that's exactly what ICAP does. Now, if you third party applications
talks HTTP, you can just do what was suggested, and proxy requests through
them. I did a little thing for Yahoo a while back, called HIPES, which made
it easy to "pipeline" such application servers. Bryan, can you open source
HIPES? :)

-- Leif