From Jacov Koren <Jacov.Ko...@commtouch.com>
Subject RE: ssl with transparent proxy
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:26:27 GMT
Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Leif Hedstrom [mailto:zwoop@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:32 PM
To: users@trafficserver.apache.org
Cc: Jacov Koren; dev@trafficserver.apache.org
Subject: Re: ssl with transparent proxy

On 6/17/12 7:15 AM, Jacov Koren wrote:

> I am just trying to understand how ssl connection can take place when
> using transparent proxy.
>
> Do I need to intercept the traffic with iptables just like I did for
> port
> 80 ?
>
> Do I need to configure something else in records.config?
>
> It's pretty urgent , I would really appreciate it if someone can help me ?

How would you expect it to work in transparent proxy? It's not like the proxy can so SSL termination
here, without having every web sites in the world private certificate key. Unless of course
you force your clients to trust your own CA, and make a SSL certificate for e.g. *.*. Funny
that this discussion is coming up again (we've had this exercise at least a few times
before) with the recent /. article:

http://ask.slashdot.org/story/12/06/16/223208/ask-slashdot-whats-your-take-on-https-snooping

Basically, to tproxy HTTPS, your proxy has to act as a man-in-the-middle.
Very undesirable.

Typically, in order to do HTTPS proxying, you would use normal forward proxying, where the
client configures the browser to use a particular proxy server. When doing HTTPS through that
proxy, the UA will use the CONNECT method and the proxy simply "tunnels" the SSL requests.
It's really only useful to e.g. control which server(s) your UAs can CONNECT to (for example).

If you are doing transparent proxy for HTTP, you probably should just let HTTPS bypass the
proxying layer entirely.

-- Leif