From Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfr...@tanso.net>
Subject Re: [SUGGESTIONS] s/-unstable/-dev/ for 3.3.x release cycle
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2012 20:17:17 GMT
On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 01:16:32PM -0600, Leif Hedstrom wrote:

> For "patch" releases on a stable branch this problem could occur,
> but in that case, I'd suggest we simply skip failed releases. We've
> done this in the past, for example, 3.0.3 was never released if I
> recall (because it failed). So we went from 3.0.2 to 3.0.4.

Right, this is exactly what I'm asking for (or alterntively -rc* tags).

> >>If we are concerned about the reuse of the minor number during dev
> >>release recycles, I'd suggest we do what Nick proposed, and simply
> >>skip version numbers.
> >It's not skipping, it's bumping. The first 3.1.4 would still have been
> >released, but it would be a brown paper bag release..
>
> No can do. It failed the vote (I canceled it), so that particular
> incarnation of 3.1.4 was not releaseable.

Ok, guess I'm talking about "tagged" not "released". I'm not
familiar with the apache release process. As I see it 3.1.4 was tagged
5 times as release candidates, and the final one was released. In
other projects I think we'd see 3.1.4-rc1, rc2, rc3, rc4 and rc5 which
eventually would be renamed to non-rc when it was officially released.

> The more I read this though, and thinking about it, I'm pretty
> convinced that Nick's suggestion of bumping version numbers (which
> we've done at least once before) is the way to go.

Sounds good.

  -jf