From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [SUGGESTIONS] s/-unstable/-dev/ for 3.3.x release cycle
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2012 16:44:23 GMT
On Jun 9, 2012, at 8:57 AM, Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode@tanso.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 01:29:08PM -0600, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
>> I'd like to suggest that starting with v3.3.0, we make our
>> development releases named e.g.
>>
>>    trafficserver-3.3.0-dev
>
> On a related note.. it would be nice if the release candidates could be
> tagged as release candidates (trafficserver-3.x.y-rc1), instead of having
> several versions of trafficserver-3.x.y.tar.gz floating around.

So that would then also be the final release name name (e.g. trafficsever-3.3.0-rc1-dev)?
I find that somewhat confusing, release candidates are typically associated with pre stable
releases (which is what we use the dev releases for). Renaming an artifact after the vote
completes  is a bit of PITA, unless we only rename the tarball and not the source tree it
creates.

If we are concerned about the reuse of the minor number during dev release recycles, I'd suggest
we do what Nick proposed, and simply skip version numbers. This has another problem though,
which is that all Jira tickets have to be renumbered on a respin (at least I would insist
that they should). But this would be my preference to address this concern. I'm +0 on this,
I just don't find it to be a significant problem myself. :)

Cheers,

-- Leif