From David Carlin <dcar...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Problems with mgmt API unix socket ownership
Date Sat, 12 May 2012 01:06:36 GMT
Since switching to 3.1.3 I've been seeing the following errors in my logs
when starting trafficserver:

[Apr 26 23:57:01.823] Manager {0x7f49fd072700} NOTE: [newUNIXsocket]
Unable to chmod unix-domain socket: Operation not permitted
[Apr 26 23:57:01.823] Manager {0x7f49fd072700} NOTE: [WebIntrMain] Unable
to set up socket for handling managment API calls. API socket path =
/var/run/trafficserver/mgmtapisocket

This also impacts /var/run/trafficserver/eventapisocket

I have specified proxy.config.admin.user_id = nobody in records.config.  I
am using trafficserver script to start ATS, but I saw the same error
message above intermittently running "traffic_manager" directly as a test.

Basically, 2/3rds of the time one of these sockets ends up being owned by
root upon startup ­ only about 1 in 3 times that I start ATS is the
ownership correct.  This results in problems such as:

$ traffic_line -s proxy.config.http.keep_alive_no_activity_timeout_in -v 60
[connect] ERROR (main_socket_fd 3): Connection refused
traffic_line: Please correct your variable name and|or value

I'll then restart ATS, the ownership of the socket changes and
traffic_line works again.

I switched back to 3.0.4 and restarted ATS tens of times - the ownership
of mgmtapisocket and eventapisocket is always nobody - I never saw it
switch to root.

The v3 docs say that proxy.config.admin.user_id is "also used to specify
ownership of config and log files."  I don't know if this is part of the
problem or related in any way, but I noticed all of the logs are owned by
nobody except for traffic.out, traffic_server.stderr,
traffic_server.stdout - this is true in 3.1.3 or 3.0.4.  Again, not really
a problem.. But possible related to my issue?  Something is setting the
ownership incorrectly?

Anyone else seeing this in 3.1.3?  Thanks!

David