From Christopher Arnold <arnol...@apple.com>
Subject Re: selectively clear device disk cache?
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 16:15:06 GMT
"proxy.process.cache.directory_collision": "57",
 We also see this counter going up when this event happens if that gives any clues.

Christopher Arnold
arnoldch@apple.com

On May 2, 2012, at 8:49 AM, Bruce Lysik <blysik@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ah, ok.  So now it's even more different as we have gone back to 7 x 300GB raw device
drives instead of that one 1.7TB RAID device.

> --
> Bruce Z. Lysik <blysik@yahoo.com>

caching very small objects or have set the configuration for average object size too high.
> Right, this might be my fault :). They have mostly large files, with 1.7TB of disk, and
the default of 8KB average size creates way too many directory entries (wasting memory, disk
I/O and longer startup times). They should estimate how many objects they need, salt it appropriately,
and tune the config accordingly.