From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multiple Trafficserver Instances on one system
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 04:01:02 GMT
On 4/3/12 5:48 PM, Vaillancourt, Tim wrote:
> Hello Traffiserver users!
>
> I'd like to start off by thanking the ASF, Yahoo!/Inktomai and other contributes for
making (and donating) this great piece of software! My team is currently implementing Trafficserver
in hopes to replace many Apache HTTPd/mod_proxy proxy servers in our team's production.

Glad to hear. :)

> I am e-mailing the list due to an issue (or PEBKAC) I am experiencing when running several
instances of Trafficserver on one system, under custom directories.

No PEBKAC, not even an ID-10T issue. I think we simply don't support
what you are trying to do :-/. We used to have some environment
variables dealing with this, but as far as I can tell, it's all
eliminated with code like

   ink_strlcpy(system_root_dir, Layout::get()->prefix,
sizeof(system_root_dir));
   ink_strlcpy(management_directory, Layout::get()->sysconfdir,
sizeof(management_directory));

I can't think of any workarounds, other than perhaps setting up
individual chroot jails for each instance. That at least lets you use
the some code distributions / packages. Filing a Jira ticket would be
good, ideally with patches attached ;).

Cheers,

-- Leif