From "Walsh, Peter" <Peter.Wa...@disney.com>
Subject RE: Serving Stale Cached Content when origin server unreachable
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 16:02:07 GMT
Hello all,
I just wanted to follow up on my earlier email below here to see if someone can confirm my
assumptions.
Thank you,

Pete Walsh
Software Engineer
206-664-4150

-----Original Message-----
From: Walsh, Peter [mailto:Peter.Walsh@disney.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2011 3:02 PM
To: users@trafficserver.apache.org
Subject: Serving Stale Cached Content when origin server unreachable

Hello all,
I found information in the Admin docs that indicate if the origin server doesn’t respond
to a revalidation query, Traffic Server serves stale data along with a warning.

My question is:  How often will Traffic Server try to revalidate the object when it has already
been unable perform a revalidation query for that object before?  My assumption is that Traffic
Server will attempt to perform the revalidation on a single client request at a time and any
other requests that come in for that same object will be served the stale cached object for
as long as the time set in “proxy.config.connection_collapsing.revaliate_window_period”.
 Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

Pete Walsh
Software Engineer