From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Initial doubts
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2011 00:25:03 GMT
On 02/15/2011 04:38 AM, Jaime Nebrera wrote:
>    Dear all,
>
>    This is my first email to the list so please be forgiving :)
>
>    I have some doubts related to a particular project. We could do this
> with Squid, but to be honest, I would really like to do so with ATS as
> would open "other doors" (we have some doubts about squid scalability in
> very demanding environments).
>
>    1) Is there any kind of Web Management interface for ATS?

If you mean a Web GUI, the answer is "not really". There was one, but
it's really poorly implemented, and not manageable. There are however
very good APIs to implement management tools, and as such, it should be
possible (if there are developers interested to work on it) to implement
much better management GUI (or, even integrate with other Web GUI's).

>    2) I'm aware ATS has limited capability for SSD devices. Yes, it does
> support them but at the same time some stuff might be required to get
> the maximum performance out of them.
>
>    Our idea is to use a SLC type (much higher write cycles supported) SSD
> device as cache storage for objects that have a medium size. Big objects
> would be stored directly in a standard rotating HDD and small objects
> directly in RAM.
>
>    I'm aware its possible to establish different caches based on certain
> constrains (like source or destination IP) but dont know if its possible
> to do so based on object size (if object bigger than X KB, store in HDD,
> if bigger than Y but smaller than X store in SDD, if smaller than Y
> store in RAM)

No, this is not really possible at this time :/. You might not even know
the size of an object until you have recieved the entire body /
response. So a solution like this would have to be able to write to one
cache, and then move them to another cache, once it knows the object sizes.

One idea that people have been looking at is to use FaceBook's
FlashCache system.

>    3) We want to support around 1K users in a forward only proxy, all
> going through a white list with LDAP authentication Any suggestion on
> the hardware?

Pretty much any modern hardware would easily handle that. More RAM ==
better performance typically, I'd go for 8GB minimum, and probably 16GB.

>    4) As said, we want to use a white list, actually multiple white lists
> based on the group the user belongs to (based on LDAP auth). Is this
> supported?

There is no LDAP (or any other) support for authentication at this
point. That code was not open sourced (and it had major issues). The
thought is that someone interested in various authentication schemes
will implement that as plugins :).

>    5) For other possibilities to come, how about "black listing"? Are
> there any plugins or modules or whatever to provide good quality black
> listing into ATS? How about antivirus / phishing, etc? ICAP? (I'm aware
> ICAP is not currently supported, but anybody working on this?)

No such plugins exists, yet at least. All of them would most certainly
be doable to implement. There is an "example" blacklist plugin, that
could be a starting point.

Sorry to not being able to give more positive responses, all your
questions are very good, and something we want to support. It's just not
done yet, with the limited resources that we have.

Cheers,

-- Leif