From Jaime Nebrera <jnebr...@eneotecnologia.com>
Subject Initial doubts
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:38:39 GMT
  Dear all,

  This is my first email to the list so please be forgiving :)

  I have some doubts related to a particular project. We could do this
with Squid, but to be honest, I would really like to do so with ATS as
would open "other doors" (we have some doubts about squid scalability in
very demanding environments).

  1) Is there any kind of Web Management interface for ATS?

  2) I'm aware ATS has limited capability for SSD devices. Yes, it does
support them but at the same time some stuff might be required to get
the maximum performance out of them.

  Our idea is to use a SLC type (much higher write cycles supported) SSD
device as cache storage for objects that have a medium size. Big objects
would be stored directly in a standard rotating HDD and small objects
directly in RAM.

  I'm aware its possible to establish different caches based on certain
constrains (like source or destination IP) but dont know if its possible
to do so based on object size (if object bigger than X KB, store in HDD,
if bigger than Y but smaller than X store in SDD, if smaller than Y
store in RAM)

  We are not particularly interested in "rotating" objects based on
usage or something like that. I mean, if not there, no need for it. So a
particular object will be stored in one of the media types based on its
size and if with time is depreciated, then is gone.

  3) We want to support around 1K users in a forward only proxy, all
going through a white list with LDAP authentication Any suggestion on
the hardware?

  4) As said, we want to use a white list, actually multiple white lists
based on the group the user belongs to (based on LDAP auth). Is this
supported?

  5) For other possibilities to come, how about "black listing"? Are
there any plugins or modules or whatever to provide good quality black
listing into ATS? How about antivirus / phishing, etc? ICAP? (I'm aware
ICAP is not currently supported, but anybody working on this?)

  Very thankful in advance. Kind regards

--
Jaime Nebrera - jnebrera@eneotecnologia.com
Consultor TI - ENEO Tecnologia SL