From John Cheng <johnlich...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Usage of Traffic Server with a CDN
Date Sat, 25 Dec 2010 03:27:33 GMT
On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Leif Hedstrom <leif@ogre.com> wrote:
> On Dec 24, 2010, at 7:49 PM, John Cheng <johnlicheng@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I see what you mean, and I think that makes sense to me.
>
> In my specific scenario, I am going to depend on Akamai for edge
> delivery and caching. I do not expect much hits to the infrastructure
> because Akamai will presumably cache all the static contents. So does
> it makes to have ATS cache static contents for Akamai to consume?
>
> It depends on a few things. For example, how expensive is it for HTTPD to
> generate the content on cache misses from Akamai? How many objects do you
> have, and what is the expire time on them? Also, Akamai have various
> services and service levels, which affects how many requests they will end
> up sending to your origins for each object.
> So, it is difficult to say if ATS (or any other caching proxy) would be
> beneficial to your edge content delivery. There are just too many unknown
> (or undisclosed) variables. One thing I can say is that it most likely would
> not hurt your CDN putting in an intermediary level between your origin
> servers and Akamai. But HTTPD can serve a lot of static content on its own,
> for sure.
> -- Leif

Thanks. I think I have a better idea of how ATS can fit into the
architecture of the site now. I leaning towards to leaving it out
until we have some profiles of site traffic, but I do agree it can
only help (though at the cost of managing additional systems).

Merry X-mas and happy holiday to everyone!

--
---
John L Cheng