From John Cheng <johnlich...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Usage of Traffic Server with a CDN
Date Sat, 25 Dec 2010 02:27:33 GMT
2010/12/24 Igor Galić <i.galic@brainsware.org>:

> ----- "John Cheng" <johnlicheng@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am exploring the role of ATS in a high availability, high traffic
>> web site. And I would like to ask if it make sense to use ATS for the
>> purpose of "scalability" if you are already using a CDN.
>
> Y! uses it for their CDNs. If it's good enough for them..
>
> Anyway, a CDN can be a number of things. What is it for you?

Hi Igor. CDN for me is edge delivery, for example Akamai edge
platform. Static contents, particularly images and videos, can be sent
to users from Akamai's nearest servers. In this case, most contents
should be served from Akamai and I wonder if Apache Traffic Server has
a significant role in reducing load on the web (Apache Httpd) servers.

>> By "scalability" I mean the use of ATS as a reverse proxy to cache
>> dynamic contents, images, etc., Of course, ATS has uses other than
>> caching contents, but I would like to hear your opinion on the roles
>> of ATS if you already have a CDN and Apache HTTPD server in place.
>
> Right now I'm using httpd in production for these purposes (edge proxy
> and cache: http://blag.esotericsystems.at/2010/02/introducing-more-caching/ )
> and ATS in test - I really need to post an update and describe

Sounds like you are using httpd for more than just caching. If you
have a CDN to cache content, and you have Apache httpd for mod_rewrite
and proxy. Just to be clear, you are not using ATS, right? Just Apache
httpd?