From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ram cache not utilized?
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2010 17:52:13 GMT
On 12/23/2010 10:38 AM, Zirui wrote:
> Leif,
> I've tried with 2.1.4 and it performed the same. I think your guess is
> probably right. The algorithm wont promote twice-hit object to mem.
> Is there any choice of ram cache algorithm?

You have a couple of options in v2.1.4, but nothing that would help on
this situation (honestly, if an object is only getting 2 hits ever, it
probably doesn't deserve to be promoted to RAM cache anyways :). You can
see some comments in the new records.config about the options you have
(the default is a new cache eviction policy, which in most cases ought
to be desirable to use).

> BTW, I have compared 2.1.0 and 2.1.4, found that some config files
> like nntp.config and filter.config are no longer existing in 2.1.4. Are
> those functions removed in 2.1.4 ? Are those functions working
> properly in 2.1.0?

No, those features never worked with either v2.0 or v2.1, which is why
they are now cleaned out of the configurations and code properly. As for
filter.config, we really need to come up with a replacement for it. I'm
working on an experiment that I need to benchmark a bit more, but I'm
hoping it might be a viable alternative to filter.config.

-- leif