From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help with monitoring traffic - TS hits/second and origin server requests/second
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 22:50:17 GMT
  On 08/11/2010 03:42 PM, Manish Pandey wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I have configured TS as a reverse proxy, and would like to monitor the
> following:
>
> 1. Number of hits/second, i.e., directly served by TS
> 2. Number of requests/second to origin server by TS

Normally I'd look at something like (using traffic_line -r ...)

     proxy.process.http.incoming_requests
     proxy.process.http.outgoing_requests

and calculate a delta over time.

Also, I think

     proxy.node.user_agent_xacts_per_second

will show number of client transactions / second as well. Not sure if
there's a similar stat for origin requests. Cache hit ratios are
available in a multitude of ways, probably the easiest being:

     proxy.node.cache_hit_ratio
     proxy.node.bandwidth_hit_ratio

> 3. #1 and #2 in terms of MB/s

There are similar "stats" for bits (I'd refer to either
proxy/mgmt2/RecordsConfig.cc, my bible, or the Admin guide HTML docs).
But, for example

     proxy.node.client_throughput_out

should show "client" traffic.

Also, you can run "sudo traffic_shell", and run various "show" commands
interactively, e.g.

% show:proxy-stats

We probably need a "Wiki" page with a list of the most useful stats. Any
volunteers? ;)

-- leif