From Leif Hedstrom <>
Subject Re: Trafficserver load balancing
Date Tue, 18 May 2010 15:12:18 GMT
On 05/18/2010 09:01 AM, Fermín Manzanedo Guzmán wrote:
> Hello
> We're trying to implement a load balanced system with a few apache
> servers bihind a local trafficserver cluster.
> we're reading the doc but it seems not to be possible (by now?).
> Is there any possibility to activate load-balancing in trafficserver?

Well, it supports "DNS round-robin" in the core. Also, Steve committed
an example plugin that does basic hashing on the request path I think.
But when you say load-balancing, do you actually mean something that
measures "load" on the real-servers ?

There are a couple of plugins that Y! will open source that provides
some features that a typical SLB would provide (e.g. URL hashing), but I
have no ETA on that  (the URL hashing plugin is a bit complicated
because it needs to be rewritten using some open source pieces).

This question comes up frequent enough that maybe we need to make a
simpler plugin that does health checking and round-robin or sticky (by
client IP) traffic balancing?

-- leif

View raw message