From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Documentation / SDK correction
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2010 19:15:53 GMT
On 04/26/2010 08:19 AM, Sandeep Kalidindi at PaGaLGuY.com wrote:
> @Leif - My bad should have been more clear with my query.  Re-phrasing
> my question.
>
> The current functionality of the cache is quiet awesome. Most of our
> needs are being taken care of. Thank you guys for open sourcing the
> traffic server.
>
> because the object store is quiet fast we are planning to use it as
> our image server. We want to write a plugin which accepts an image, do
> certain modifications etc to the plugin and then store it in the
> cache. Although it is quiet clear you can do this easily by reading
> the current documentation and the state-machine diagram (regarding
> where to hook your image processing c code.) The aspect which we are
> having trouble is what is the best way to handle the cache store from
> the plugins. Regarding that we couldn't find proper documentation (i
> guess one of you is in the process of writing).

It sounds like what you are doing is a "transform" plugin, right?  You
shouldn't use the cache plugin APIs for that, after checking with Steve,
the primary APIs to use related to transforms and cache is to control
whether the data should be cached pre- or post-transformation. I think
you want to look at these APIs for some details, maybe in:

http://incubator.apache.org/trafficserver/docs/v2/sdk/HTTPTransactionFunctions.html

The Cache Plugin APIs are intended for writing  a complete cache
replacement. It's a new API, which is why the documentation is still not
updated (Diane and Miles are working hard on getting everything up to
speed). There are no examples released for these APIs yet, but we have
two cache replacements that we will (hopefully) OpenSource soon, one is
a RAM-only cache, and the other is a file system based cache (one file
per cached object).

Cheers,

-- Leif