From Eric Balsa <er...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Basic Questions
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 05:54:17 GMT
Rusty, hopefully a little help inline:

--Eric

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Rusty Conover <rconover@infogears.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to get traffic server up and running for some testing.  I have a
> few questions:
> 1. Is traffic_manager supposed to work?  There doesn't appear to be any real
> way to know which script should start the whole collection of programs.
>  Maybe I'm just missing it.

http://incubator.apache.org/trafficserver/docs/admin/getstart.htm
and bug:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-7

> 2. Is the web management interface supposed to be working?  It segfaults
> after I try to authenticate.  The management pages weren't installed
> properly out of the html2 directory to the installation prefix.
> 3. What is the format of proxy.config.admin.admin_password, i.e. how can I
> create a new value?
> 4. What are the proper debug flags for traffic_manager to basically print
> everything.

Two ways:
1. Start traffic_server with:
sudo /usr/local/bin/traffic_server -T ".*"
-T gives you a regexp "tag" for which to see debug messages. .* will
be very verbose (probably too verbose). What you probably want is
something like "http.*" which will show you what the http state
machine is doing with the request. Other useful tags are url_rewrite,
cache.*, dns.* and many more. You can connect them with "http.*|dns.*"
to see all things http & dns related.

2. Set the relevant debug tags in records.config for
CONFIG proxy.config.diags.debug.enabled INT 0 <---- enable is 1
CONFIG proxy.config.diags.debug.tags STRING http.*|dns.* <--- what do
you want to log?

Note: debug tags slow things down a lot!