trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From Derek Dagit <der...@oath.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Mark log collation as deprecated for v8.0.0
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2018 20:05:22 GMT
Sounds good.

> 3) Perhaps most importantly, this is not a problem that ATS should solve iMO. There are
much better systems out there, such as Kafka, Elastic Search, Splunk etc., all which solves
this problem in a much better way.

Would we offer a recommendation along these lines during while the
feature is present but deprecated?

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 2:58 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’d like to mark the log collation feature as deprecated for the v8.0.0 release, such
that we can remove it from v9.0.0. I have a number of reasons for this

> 1) It’s generally really broken. For example, the orphaned logs files are not handled
in any reasonable way, making the feature IMO unusable.

> 2) No one has stepped up to the plate to fix anything other than the critical issues
discovered (such as Peter’s memory leak fix).

> 3) Perhaps most importantly, this is not a problem that ATS should solve iMO. There are
much better systems out there, such as Kafka, Elastic Search, Splunk etc., all which solves
this problem in a much better way.

> If you have objections to this, expect to have to do some serious work on this code base,
because as I see it, it’s not up to the quality we expect from  ATS.

--
Derek