trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Mark log collation as deprecated for v8.0.0
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2018 19:58:52 GMT
Hi all,

I’d like to mark the log collation feature as deprecated for the v8.0.0 release, such that
we can remove it from v9.0.0. I have a number of reasons for this

1) It’s generally really broken. For example, the orphaned logs files are not handled in
any reasonable way, making the feature IMO unusable.

2) No one has stepped up to the plate to fix anything other than the critical issues discovered
(such as Peter’s memory leak fix).

3) Perhaps most importantly, this is not a problem that ATS should solve iMO. There are much
better systems out there, such as Kafka, Elastic Search, Splunk etc., all which solves this
problem in a much better way.

If you have objections to this, expect to have to do some serious work on this code base,
because as I see it, it’s not up to the quality we expect from  ATS.

Cheers,

— Leif