trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TS-4703 && PR-829
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2016 09:33:37 GMT

> On Jul 28, 2016, at 5:50 AM, Petar Bozhidarov Penkov <ppenkov@stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am writing in accordance with the referenced Pull Request and JIRA issue.
> I am proposing a GET-er method for Transactions's underlying protocol. This
> relates to TS-2987 and is effectively one of the proposed solutions, a
> wrapper around ProxyClientTransaction::get_protocol_string() . The proposed
> API is as follows:
>
> *tsapi const char *TSHttpTxnClientProtocolGet(TSHttpTxn txnp);*
> **name credit goes to Susan Hinrichs and Alan Carroll*

Hi Petar,

I’m not sure that this is the right approach. get_protocol_string() simply distinguishes
HTTP/2 sessions, so it it not something that I think is ready to become API. Since we already
have an abstraction for HTTP versions (see TSHttpHdrVersionGet), maybe a better approach is
to expose a convenience API that returns the transaction HTTP version as a TS_HTTP_VERSION()
constant.

> The reason I believe this change is necessary is that plugins do not have
> any clean way to access this data

What data are you looking for? Whether the transaction is part of a HTTP/2 session? Anything
else?