trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: backtrace
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2016 03:27:54 GMT

> On Jan 21, 2016, at 6:37 PM, Dk Jack <dnj0496@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I am a newbie to ATS and I am trying to write a plugin. My plugin is
> crashing... and the crashlog
> has this message
>
> "Unable to retrieve backtrace: [6] Error reading from socket."

This means that traffic_crashlog was unable to make an API call into traffic_manager. Maybe
traffic_manager was hosed or not available?

> I have installed libunwind8 and libunwind8-dev on my build machine and the
> target machine.
>
> I see the following lines when I run my configure script...

> checking execinfo.h usability... yes
> checking execinfo.h presence... yes
> checking for execinfo.h... yes
> checking for library containing backtrace... none required    <<<<<<<<<
> checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
> checking for LIBUNWIND... yes
> configure: Using epoll event interface
>
> When I run 'ldd' against the traffic_server binary, I see that it's not
> linking against libunwind.

traffic_manager is the one using libunwind to do the backtrace

> How do I enable backtrace so that I can see where my plugin is crashing.

Independently of the crash logging mechanism, you ought to get a backtrace in the traffic_server
log, which would probably be traffic.out or diags.log depending on your configuration.