trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Kenny <jke...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Proposal for how to update source code layout.
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2016 16:46:03 GMT

Jason

----- Original Message -----
From: James Peach <jpeach@apache.org>
To: dev@trafficserver.apache.org; Alan Carroll <solidwallofcode@yahoo-inc.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: Proposal for how to update source code layout.

> On Jan 26, 2016, at 11:07 AM, Alan Carroll <solidwallofcode@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>
wrote:

> My view is that getting or at least having a target source tree that is better organized
is a big help in doing the things HRP wants to do. Certainly when I have looked at doing that
sort of cleanup, the current structure is an impediment. For example, the RPC logic needs
to be pulled out of mgmt and put in a separate library so it can be linked easily by any executable.
But where does that go? I suppose lib/rpc but it's unclear.

Sure, but we need to be really specific here in order to understand the proposal. What exactly
do you mean by the "RPC logic"? Just MgmtMarshall.cc and NetworkMessage.cc? Everything NetworkMessage.cc
depends on? Or do you mean the libmgmt API?

> I have mixed feelings about the big shift vs. gradual. The former is more painful but
only for a short while. The latter drags out the pain so it's a somewhat chronic condition.
In either case, though, we'd need a final target that we are working toward.

If you understand how to decouple a dependency, then I think the best approach is to just
decouple that dependency and move on to the next. Given a specific change, we can understand
what it means and where is belongs.