trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Carroll <solidwallofc...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Proposal for how to update source code layout.
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2016 18:20:26 GMT
In talking with Jason my impression is that he wants to implement this shift via smaller changes
like TS-4092. My concern is if we don't have a final structure to which we are moving we could
end up in a worse mess than we are now. And if we are going to make significant changes I
think in for a penny, in for pound. If we are looking long term I think the overall pain is
less if we pick the best structure we can and move toward that, it will be better than having
to deal to do semi-major changes repeatedly and much better than doing it piecemeal without
an overall goal.

I agree with Jason that we need to think seriously about testing and how we can arrange things
to make that easier both in implementation and having people understand where to put things.
That, IMHO, is a big mess in addition to the ones Ming points out. There are several significant
architectural changes on the horizon that are going to require far more serious testing than
we have in place now.