trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Github vs Jira for comments
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2015 23:46:58 GMT

> On Dec 1, 2015, at 9:28 AM, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 30, 2015, at 10:55 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Now that we agreed to use Github as a patch / review board, the question is: Where
do we post comments? On the Jira, or the Github pull request? My preference is constantly
using Jira, for two reasons

>> 1) Our automated release notes refer to the Jira, it’d be a lot easier to track
discussions in one place.

> Once we start using pull requests it's basically impossible to have comments on the Jira.
I would also prefer comments to be on the jira, but that's not a reasonable workflow with
pull requests IMHO.

So that’s a vote for Github then?

To answer Bcall’s email, yes, Github comments ends up on the Jira, but not the other way
around. So people reading and commenting there see the entire thread, whereas people only
reading the Github PR only sees “half” the thread.

To answer the Geffon’s email: I don’t know if / how that can be changed, to minimize email.
Daniel: What can we do here to reduce emails / duplications?

> What happens with PRs that don't have a Jira ticket reference in their subject?

We reject them, and ask them to follow our guidelines? :) There should be no commits from
PRs without a Jira anyways, unless they are trivial, documentation etc. (the already acceptable
list of commits that require no Jira).

Fwiw, I’m ok either way, but my preference would be to stick to comments / threads on the
Jira. I just feel we need to agree of a workflow here, to avoid confusion and split discussions.

Cheers,

-- leif