trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Github vs Jira for comments
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2015 00:31:48 GMT

> On Dec 1, 2015, at 4:28 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>
> One more thing to consider:
>
> How do we coordinate reviews such that we don't do major duplication? It's good to have
more tha one reviewer (on complicated), but we simple don't have the resources sub that every
PR gets a large number of reviewers.

> At a previous place I've been, each PR was assigned to two reviewers and eventually a
super (module) reviewer. When the first two reviewers signed off, the patch went to SR and
then merged. This was very tedious at the time, but it predates today's better tools.

Unfortunately we can't assign github PRs :(

> -- Leif

is: Where do we post comments? On the Jira, or the Github pull request? My preference is constantly
using Jira, for two reasons

to track discussions in one place.

>>> Once we start using pull requests it's basically impossible to have comments
on the Jira. I would also prefer comments to be on the jira, but that's not a reasonable workflow
with pull requests IMHO.

>> So that’s a vote for Github then?
>>
>> To answer Bcall’s email, yes, Github comments ends up on the Jira, but not the
other way around. So people reading and commenting there see the entire thread, whereas people
only reading the Github PR only sees “half” the thread.

>> To answer the Geffon’s email: I don’t know if / how that can be changed, to minimize
email. Daniel: What can we do here to reduce emails / duplications?

>>> What happens with PRs that don't have a Jira ticket reference in their subject?
>>

>> We reject them, and ask them to follow our guidelines? :) There should be no commits
from PRs without a Jira anyways, unless they are trivial, documentation etc. (the already
acceptable list of commits that require no Jira).

>> Fwiw, I’m ok either way, but my preference would be to stick to comments / threads
on the Jira. I just feel we need to agree of a workflow here, to avoid confusion and split
discussions.