trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Github vs Jira for comments
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2015 16:28:30 GMT

> On Nov 30, 2015, at 10:55 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Now that we agreed to use Github as a patch / review board, the question is: Where do
we post comments? On the Jira, or the Github pull request? My preference is constantly using
Jira, for two reasons

> 1) Our automated release notes refer to the Jira, it’d be a lot easier to track discussions
in one place.

Once we start using pull requests it's basically impossible to have comments on the Jira.
I would also prefer comments to be on the jira, but that's not a reasonable workflow with
pull requests IMHO.

What happens with PRs that don't have a Jira ticket reference in their subject?

> 2) Sometimes (not always)  github pull requests are closed, and reopened, leaving a difficult
trail to follow.

Yeh, doing this hurts reviewabliity, as does adding more commits to the branch. If you make
review changes, then the right approach is to squash those changes into their final presentation
form and force push the branch again. I'm pretty sure that github does the right thing with
force push. It is hard to review changes that are not in their final presentation form; I
end up just downloading the whole PR as a patch and applying locally.

> Thoughts or concerns? Note that this might change if/when we get to a unified ticket
and code review system. My primary concern and goal now is that we have consistency here,
i.e. one place to look for comments / discussion threads.