trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Github vs Jira for comments
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2015 00:28:15 GMT
One more thing to consider:

How do we coordinate reviews such that we don't do major duplication? It's good to have more
tha one reviewer (on complicated), but we simple don't have the resources sub that every PR
gets a large number of reviewers.

At a previous place I've been, each PR was assigned to two reviewers and eventually a super
(module) reviewer. When the first two reviewers signed off, the patch went to SR and then
merged. This was very tedious at the time, but it predates today's better tools.

-- Leif

> On Dec 1, 2015, at 4:46 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 1, 2015, at 9:28 AM, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On Nov 30, 2015, at 10:55 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Now that we agreed to use Github as a patch / review board, the question is:
Where do we post comments? On the Jira, or the Github pull request? My preference is constantly
using Jira, for two reasons

>>> 1) Our automated release notes refer to the Jira, it’d be a lot easier to track
discussions in one place.

>> Once we start using pull requests it's basically impossible to have comments on the
Jira. I would also prefer comments to be on the jira, but that's not a reasonable workflow
with pull requests IMHO.

> So that’s a vote for Github then?
>
> To answer Bcall’s email, yes, Github comments ends up on the Jira, but not the other
way around. So people reading and commenting there see the entire thread, whereas people only
reading the Github PR only sees “half” the thread.

> To answer the Geffon’s email: I don’t know if / how that can be changed, to minimize
email. Daniel: What can we do here to reduce emails / duplications?

>> What happens with PRs that don't have a Jira ticket reference in their subject?
>

> We reject them, and ask them to follow our guidelines? :) There should be no commits
from PRs without a Jira anyways, unless they are trivial, documentation etc. (the already
acceptable list of commits that require no Jira).

> Fwiw, I’m ok either way, but my preference would be to stick to comments / threads
on the Jira. I just feel we need to agree of a workflow here, to avoid confusion and split
discussions.