trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: git commit: TS-2415: use standard continuations to release UrlRewrite objects
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2013 22:04:30 GMT
On Dec 4, 2013, at 9:11 AM, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2013, at 7:37 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 3, 2013, at 10:30 PM, jpeach@apache.org wrote:
>>>

>> Fwiw, this new_Deleter does not have the same semantics as the old code. The old
code would schedule the deletion on the ET_TASK thread pool, whereas new_Deleter runs on any
of the net-threads. This could mean that we’d block a net-thread for some time if the remap
table is sufficiently large.

>> I don’t know if it is a real, detrimental problem, but if I recall we moved the
remap.config reloading / management to ET_TASK because it did have a real problem when loading
very large configs.

> Oh interesting. All the config processor stuff happens on ET_CALL threads too. The remap.config

Maybe we should move those config processors too ?

>> Maybe the right thing is to make new_Deleter use ET_TASK?
>
> Yes this sounds like the right thing to do.

Ok, I’ll file a Jira (unless you already did?).

>> If there are no task threads configured, that falls back to the old behavior?
>
> Or make sure we always have at least 1 task thread?

Btw, that last sentence was a statement, not a question :). We do fall back on ET_NET (aka
CALL) when there are no task threads.

The default is at least 1 I think.  We could probably change the behavior for v5.0 to require
at least 1. Another Jira?

— Leif