trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: TDD/Unit testing ATS plugins
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2013 19:05:05 GMT

On Dec 31, 2013, at 10:11 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2013, at 9:44 AM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for an example of an ATS plugin that has extensive unit tests.
>>
>> I'm having problems linking my Boost unit tests against the plugin library for obvious
reasons, it's a module not a shared library.

>> I tried setting up an internal static library that the tests would link against but
can't seem to get the object files directly included into the ATS plugin.

> I *think* Yahoo have (or had) a stub library to help with this. Basically, provide the
necessary TS APIs for a plugin to at least run some basic unit tests. It’s a wee bit tricky
though, particularly if the plugin expects to operate on real data (like request / response
headers).

> Bryan: Do you remember anything about this stub library ? Is it something Yahoo kept
maintaining ?

> Other than that, this seems like it’d be a useful harness for someone to provide :-).

A harness and mock APIs would be awesome but I think that I am struggling with something more
fundamental, more specifically, how to structure my Autotools based Makefile.ac so that my
Boost based unit tests can call into the same code that is in my plugin module.  I tried using
a static library which would hold the code that is used by the ATS plugin module and tested
by the unit tests but it seems that the object files in the static library are not included
in the ATS plugin module, regardless of what Autotools incantations I put into my Makefile.ac.

I was wondering how other people structure their Makefile.ac to allow this to work.

Regards,
Alan