trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: git commit: TS-2415: use standard continuations to release UrlRewrite objects
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2013 22:12:06 GMT
On Dec 4, 2013, at 2:04 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2013, at 9:11 AM, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 4, 2013, at 7:37 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On Dec 3, 2013, at 10:30 PM, jpeach@apache.org wrote:
>>>>

>>> Fwiw, this new_Deleter does not have the same semantics as the old code. The
old code would schedule the deletion on the ET_TASK thread pool, whereas new_Deleter runs
on any of the net-threads. This could mean that we’d block a net-thread for some time if
the remap table is sufficiently large.

>>> I don’t know if it is a real, detrimental problem, but if I recall we moved
the remap.config reloading / management to ET_TASK because it did have a real problem when

>> Oh interesting. All the config processor stuff happens on ET_CALL threads too. The
remap.config loading still happens on the ET_TASK.

> Maybe we should move those config processors too ?

Yup.

>>> Maybe the right thing is to make new_Deleter use ET_TASK?
>>
>> Yes this sounds like the right thing to do.
>
> Ok, I’ll file a Jira (unless you already did?).

thanks

>>> If there are no task threads configured, that falls back to the old behavior?
>>
>> Or make sure we always have at least 1 task thread?
>

> Btw, that last sentence was a statement, not a question :). We do fall back on ET_NET
(aka CALL) when there are no task threads.

> The default is at least 1 I think.  We could probably change the behavior for v5.0 to
require at least 1. Another Jira?

IMHO it would be a compatible change to make proxy.config.task_thread=0 mean "choose a sane
default".