trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan M. Carroll" <...@network-geographics.com>
Subject Re: Range transform problems
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2013 16:27:33 GMT

> On Dec 9, 2013, at 2:53 PM, Alan M. Carroll <amc@network-geographics.com> wrote:

>> I've been failing at solving the range transform issue for quite a while. I think
now we need to do something a little bit bigger to make it work correctly and I have outlined
that as an API proposal in the wiki.

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/Transform+Plugin+Content+Length+Control

> A few questions:

>         - what happens if the TS_HTTP_TRANSFORM_CONTENT_LENGTH_HOOK hook is not registered?

As noted, this is treated as if the plugin returned INDETERMINATE, which is what the current
code is structured to presume in all cases.

>         - where does the original Content-Length header come from?

The cached response header.

>         - what happens if everyone just returns INDETERMINATE all the time?

The same thing that happens now. That's the goal.

>         - if it is ok to always return INDETERMINATE, then why would you return anything
else?

Two reasons:

1) You don't want to force ATS to use connection closing or chunked encoding to signal end
of stream, and you can compute the content length.

2) You are a range transform.