trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject New APIs and ts.h vs experimental.h
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:17:34 GMT
Hi all,

This has been discussed a few times, but I don't think we agreed on a
standard or "best practices". As you all know, we have made a promise
("contract") to not break APIs or ABIs within major releases. This implies
that once an API goes into ts/ts.h, we can't change the prototype (we can
change/fix the implementation though, of course).

We have an experimental API include file, ts/experimental.h, where we have a
bunch of APIs which has not been considered stable or frozen. I have in the
past moved a number of APIs from this file to ts/ts.h. There are still quite
a few APIs in this file, some which I think can be promoted, some which I
have serious concerns about (such as the second CacheVC API, it's just wrong :).

Here's the question / thought: When we add new APIs to the core, should they
go into ts/ts.h or ts/experimental.h ? Both has pros and cons, as usual, the
strength of ts/experimental.h is that it allows us to modify prototypes of
new APIs without breaking the guaranteed API / ABI contract that we have for
ts/ts.h.

What do you all think?

-- Leif