trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: --enable-experimental-plugins
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 04:18:37 GMT
On 2/2/13 4:47 AM, Igor Galić wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> just a heads-up: I put --enable-experimental-plugins in all our builds
> and I'm expecting some massive failures all over the place.
>
> This code needs more exposure, and I thought I'd start by building it.

I'm not sure this is a great idea. Several of the plugins in experimental
simply don't compile, and won't compile (on any platform) without an owner.
The idea behind "experimental" was that it'd be a safe playground, where we
don't have to be picky. --enable-experimental is a great way for someone to
fix some of these plugins.

A few options would be

a) Move these plugins to another directory, and another configure option.

b) Move the plugins that have been used to some extent, and has at least one
active developer, out to the main build area.

c) Do nothing ;).

d) enable experimental on all builds, and exclude all plugins that don't
build (but then, how will someone test / fix / build those plugins?).

b) would be my preference.

-- Leif