trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TS-1077 ready to commit?
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:29:28 GMT
On 1/26/12 5:58 AM, Alan M. Carroll wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand the use case for this. Could you clarify how you expect this
to be used?
> The use case is where you expect clients to connect to both IPv4 and IPv6 origin servers
from the same listen port and you want to bind a specific local address in both cases. So
you could have just IPv6 internally and still be able to connect to both IPv6 and IPv4 origin
servers with a specific local address. It's a bit ugly but I think we will want, during this
transition period, to not lock out cross family connections.

Well, there's still use cases with just plain IPv4. For example, I might
have 10's or hundreds of virtual IPs,and control which traffic goes out on
what "source ip" to the origin. Granted, this is not frequently used, but
there were requests for it, and I can certainly think of some user cases
(e.g. the origin doing sticky IP sessions based on source IP, and you want
to assure some fairly reasonable load balancing from the proxy's connections).

-- Leif