trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SVN vs Git
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 00:00:14 GMT
On 12/1/11 4:56 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
> On 11/29/11 12:04 PM, Bryan Call wrote:
>> +1 git
>>
>> I use git for all my work and am accustomed to cloning svn repos into
>> git.  There are some disadvantages of doing a svn clone into git instead
>> of cloning from a git repo.  The thing I hate the most is that the svn
>> history can be lost when cloning into git.  I have seen this when doing a
>> move in svn and a clone to git doesn't recognize this and it loses all
>> prior history on the file.
>
> The general consensus seems to be that Git is preferable. Would it be out
> of line for me to volunteer us to participate in the Git alpha testing?
> Unfortunately, the deadline to volunteer is tomorrow, so there's not
> enough time to do an official vote (although, technically, several people
> have already voted here :). Fwiw, I'm definitely +1 on Git as well.

I spoke with infra-ops briefly, and here's the scope: We'd have to request
by tomorrow to *potentially* participate in the Git alpha testing. That
doesn't mean that we are obligated to do the migration, i.e. we still have
time to back out should someone -1 / object to it.

So, unless I hear otherwise, I will send a proposal for ATS to join the git
alpha testing to infra-ops tomorrow.

Cheers,

-- Leif