trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From Rayson Ho <raysonlo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting traffic_server to dump core
Date Sat, 27 Aug 2011 15:01:19 GMT
There's also the setuid(2)/seteuid(2)/setguid(2)/seteguid(2) issue on
Linux (the kernel does not dump core setXid programs).

There are a few places that trafficserver calls those system calls
(eg. in runAsUser()).

There are 2 ways of working around this:

1) In Sun Grid Engine (now the commercial Oracle Grid Engine and the
Open-Source Grid Engine project called Open Grid Scheduler) we use an
LD_PRELOAD wrapper to reset the core-dump bit after those system calls
are called.

You might want to take a look at our wrapper:

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/patches/libcore.c

% gcc -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC -c libcore.c
% gcc -shared -o libcore.so libcore.o -lpthread

Then LD_PRELOAD libcore.so into the application to enable core dump.

2) There is also a easier (but a bit less secure way), and enabling it
could cause sensitive data to be dumped to disk as it is a system-wide
setting:

# sysctl -w kernel.core_setuid_ok=1

Rayson