trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Deprecated InkAPI / ts.h functions?
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2010 19:36:45 GMT
On 6/24/10 12:10 PM, Patrick McManus wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 08:09 -0600, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
>

>> How about we do this for 2.2 (this is basically a summary of your ideas):
>>

> I'm in favor of that plan, thanks for responding.
>
> One more thing to think about when the time comes to break compatibility
> in a new major release. Doing so will give people a reason not to
> upgrade, which is definitely not what you want. :) That kind of inertia
> can be overwhelming - how long did it take for apache server 2.x to
> finally supplant 1.x in installations? 1.x had to be maintained with
> fixes for years because 2.x wasn't a viable upgrade path for lots of
> users.

The thing that's a little different with these particular APIs are that
they a) were deprecated at least 10 years ago, and b) no one has been
using them in those last 10 years (the code wasn't Open Sourced until
now). Carry them forward for another 10 years just doesn't seem
worthwhile :).

Cheers,

-- Leif