trafficserver-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject Polling Library
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:46:01 GMT
Hi,

I think we need to use some kind of library to abstract IO polling,
rather than completely reinventing the wheel.

Lief mentioned possibly using libev:
<http://software.schmorp.de/pkg/libev.html>

I took a quick look at the internals of libev, and they seemed mostly
sane.  It uses callbacks, instead of exposing arrays of results to the
library user.

The callback approach is also what APR/httpd is moving to with the
newest apr_pollcb API, and what the new Simple MPM was designed around
-- the callbacks do introduce a a frame jump, but they mean you can be
portable, and only iterate the result set of events once.

Alternatives would include using libevent, or rolling our own.

I am personally in favor of using libev.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul