tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david.a.jen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about TomEE and OpenEJB.
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2018 04:57:57 GMT
As Romain said in response to your previous question, the capabilities provided as part of
any software implemented on top of the jre, such as tomee or openejb, don’t affect arithmetic
operations in the jre in any way. After carefully analyzing your actual needs you might investigate
the BigInteger and BigDecimal classes to see if they will support whatever you are trying
to do.  I don’t think you will find any way to exactly model the set of real numbers, rational
numbers, or even integers on any computer built now or in the future.

Btw while not an expert I don’t think your example illustrates overflow of underflow but
rather that decimal fractions can’t be converted accurately to finite binary fractions.
This is why eg cobol used binary coded decimal.

David Jencks
Sent from my iPhone