tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RFC7807 ErrorReportValve
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2020 13:58:05 GMT
On 03/07/2020 20:42, Thomas Meyer wrote:
> Am 2. Juli 2020 21:45:53 MESZ schrieb Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org>:
>> On 02/07/2020 20:30, Thomas Meyer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What are your opinions on providing a RFC7807 based ErrorReportValve
>> as part of Tomcat default distribution?
>>
>> RFC 7807 looks to be application specific so support for that RFC looks
>> to be better handled at the application level.
>
> Mhh, okay, sad to hear.
>
> The basic idea was to provide an ErrorReportValve that always responds with an JSON,
given the use case that tomcat is sometimes used purely as an HTTP JSON based API server,
aka. REST, this Valve would always return an JSON object and not suddenly an HTML page if
for any reason something goes horrible wrong.

> It would be a nice to have for tomcat to provide an out of the box support for this use
case.

> But yes the format of the JSON is hard to define generally, above RFC was one of the
first search results :-)

If there was something that could be done generically at the container
level then I'd have no objection but it doesn't look like RFC 7807 is a
good fir for that.

Mark