tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Olaf Kock <tom...@olafkock.de>
Subject Re: Password encryption in Tomcat 8.5.35
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2019 06:24:54 GMT

On 16.09.19 06:05, Mohan T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using tomcat 8.5.35, on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.4.
>
> Is it possible to encrypt or mask passwords that is being used in the datasource for
connecting to database. I am mentioning the credentials in server.xml

There used to be a dedicated FAQ entry at
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Password, but the link is broken.

Currently, the only leftover that I can find is
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Security#, which says

> Why are passwords in plain text?
> We have a page dedicated to this topic. FAQ/Password

...but links to the same page this information is on, so the information
seems to be lost.

If someone has access to the old Wiki's information, it'd be a great
page to restore.

Until then, an option to implement this snake oil is mentioned here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/129160

Cheers,

Olaf