tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jason Pyeron" <jpye...@pdinc.us>
Subject RE: [tomcat-users] Password encryption in Tomcat 8.5.35
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2019 04:20:45 GMT
While there is no real value in doing so - you can provide your own datasource factory class.

This class should extend the provided datasource, and would use a "method" to decrypt the
password field.

Keep in mind as you have described, the decryption mechanism(s) would be just as available
to the attacker as the context.xml. We frequently have to reverse engineer such passwords
for our customers.

Now, if the decryption method obtains information from a "password oracle source", you could
end up with your implied security goals. We strive to obtain such keys from TPMs, Smart Cards,
networked sources, etc.

v/r,

Jason Pyeron