tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rob Nikander <rob.nikan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to stop trailing slash redirects?
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2019 08:41:20 GMT
On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 10:13 AM André Warnier (tomcat) <aw@ice-sa.com>
wrote:

> On 07.06.2019 08:31, Rob Nikander wrote:
> >

> >> On Jun 6, 2019, at 5:19 PM, André Warnier (tomcat) <aw@ice-sa.com>
> wrote:

> > Version 9.0.20.
> >
> > Thank you both for the recommendations and warnings. At the moment I’m
> not sure what I’ll do.
> >
> > I often don’t think of URL paths like directories, but if I do that,
> then it makes some sense to redirect. But in my case, the url “/myapp” is
> the entry point to my web app, and it currently returns an intro page, not
> something that looks like a directory listing. Once you get into the app it
> has other URLs like /myapp/login, /myapp/browse, /myapp/practice, etc. I
> don’t have a great reason for disliking the slash; it’s mainly subjective
> preference of thinking the URLs without slash look simpler and cleaner.
> >
> > Maybe my best “reason” to do this is that the minimal base URL /myapp is
> the obvious entry point to the app, and my first choice to give out to the
> public as the app’s location, so I want it to work as fast as possible,
> without a redirect.
> >

> What I was trying to say, is that the redirect is needed so that *the
> browser* would have
> the correct URL for the page it is ultimately obtaining, so that *the
> browser* can
> correctly interpret any relative URLs which may exist in that page (and
> cookie paths etc..).

Yes, I think understood what you were saying there about relative URLs.
Even if I use the slashless URL, I'm glad you explained it because now I
know why Tomcat is working that way.

I think it my case it's not that difficult to change which URL I consider
canonical, redirect /myapp/ → /myapp, and deal with URLs and cookies
accordingly. I need to change the defaults with cookies anyway since I want
a site-wide session, not something restricted to /myapp.

Most of the app is served from other URLs, like /myapp/login,
/myapp/practice, etc., where this is not a factor. I already avoid relative
URLs for some other reasons -- for example, they become extra confusing in
apps like this which programmatically create UI components that can be
reused on different pages/URLs, and which use the HTML5 history API
(changes to the URL don't always result in server page requests).

Rob