tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat hanging on shutdown post 9.0.13
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2019 18:15:54 GMT
On 24/06/2019 19:02, David Cleary wrote:
> We currently ship our AppServer on Tomcat 9.0.13. We like to update to a more recent
version when we ship a new release. However, Tomcat refuses to stop, on both Windows and Linux,
when we go past 9.0.13. I know that it has something to do with our main web application as
Tomcat does shut down when it isn't deployed. We also have Replaced Tomcat's Juli logger with
Logback. For some reason, the 9.0.21 version of this library has not been released.

> I'm looking for suggestions on tracking this down. At shutdown, we see a number of logback
threads as well as some additional threads we create to watch resources through possible memory
leak exceptions. Anyways, I am looking for suggestions on tracking this down. I'm able to
attach to the process with Eclipse, but it hasn't helped point me at what the cause is.

Every non-daemon thread needs to be shutdown before the JVM will exit.
Take a thread-dump, identify the non-daemon threads and then ensure
whatever starts them up also shuts them down.

Mark