tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Garret Wilson <gar...@globalmentor.com>
Subject Re: small extension for Tomcat in ApacheConNA2019
Date Mon, 13 May 2019 22:15:42 GMT
Hi, Jean-Frederic. Could you give an indication of what sort of
presentations they are looking for? Would a presentation of an
open-source Tomcat extension, with architecture/code explanation and
live demonstration, be appropriate? For example:

    *Title:* Serving Clean Resource Names with Custom MIME Internet
    Types on Tomcat

    *Summary:* Increasingly static site generators are being used to
    create a presence on the web, both for the speed and simplicity of
    the resulting static pages. Coupled with this trend is the use of
    "clean" resource names with no extensions, such as
    `/products/mousetrap` instead of `/products/mousetrap.html`. Because
    the default Tomcat implementation determines MIME type by filename
    extension, "clean" filenames are traditionally produced by URL
    redirects, perhaps using Apache HTTP Server in conjunction with
    `mod_rewrite` in front of Tomcat. This presentation shows how Tomcat
    has been extended to dynamically determine MIME type at runtime
    based on metadata stored in a parallel file tree or as sidecar
    files, and to serve the pages directly from Tomcat with no need for
    URL redirects. A tutorial on the static site generator Guise Mummy
    is also included, illustrating how to generate a static site with
    clean resource names, host the site immediately using embedded
    Tomcat, and/or even deploy the site to AWS S3 using bucket object
    metadata with a single command.

Is that the sort of of level of talk they are looking for, and is it of
appropriate general interest for the conference?

Garret