tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Upgrading to tomcat 8.5.41
Date Wed, 15 May 2019 07:56:18 GMT
On 15.05.2019 00:23, Jim Weill wrote:
> We are currently running 8.5.32 on Server 2012r2.  I went to use the
> upgrade tool before downloading 8.5.41 and the instructions say "If there
> are no differences you will see an error page."
> http://tomcat.apache.org/migration-85.html#Upgrading_8.5.x
>
> When I check for any differences, even going back to 8.5.0 compared to
> 8.5.41, I get a "Forbidden You don't have permission to access /repos/asf
> on this server".  Is this the error I'm supposed to expect....?

Well no, obviously there is a problem with the page you mention above, I get the same
error (and I don't think that was expected behaviour).

For now, you will have to apply the "manual" procedure, which generally consist of :
- stop tomcat
- make a backup of your current tomcat directories (at least "conf")
- install the new tomcat in either a new directory, or overwrite the existing one
- then manually compare the files in the new "conf", with the backed-up ones.
- bring over any "local" changes that you made previously to the "conf" files, into the
new ones (and not the opposite). According to the upgrade notes, between different 8.5
versions, there are no breaking changes in terms of configuration parameters, but better
safe than sorry.

Problem description :

http://tomcat.apache.org/migration-85.html#Upgrading_8.5.x
click on the "View Differences" button under
"Tomcat 8.5.x configuration file differences"

Looks like someone forgot to authorise https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf for the world.
 From https://gitbox.apache.org, it looks like one needs to register first with an
apache.org id, in order to use this tool.
But this is not clear from the upgrading page.