tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Followup2: Changed behaviour of Tomcat Deployment/Context/Lifecycle Manager concerning symbolic links
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2019 21:26:27 GMT
Hi Guido,

Am 09.03.2019 um 10:09 schrieb Guido Jäkel:
> Dear Mark,
>
> thank you for comments and hints. I would say I have a wide knowledge about hard and
software. But as I'm not working as a software developer, I'm not familiar with a lot of things
in deep. I also don't have key-ready workbenches or buildchains. But I'll try to locate the
corresponding commit using web access to the git. May I also contact you afterwards for further
steps? Should I try to open an issue on the git or should I start a discussion in the Tomcat
developer mailing list?

To add small hints: the project is available on Github, which provides
an easy web interface for basic code archeology. E.g. the class you
metioned can be viewed at

https://github.com/apache/tomcat/blob/master/java/org/apache/catalina/startup/ContextConfig.java

and that page contains buttons for "Blame" - which shows when and in
which commit each line was changes last, and also "History" which shows
the list of changes applied to that file.

The above link if for master (TC 9), but analogous pages exist for each
branch, e.g.

https://github.com/apache/tomcat/blob/8.5.x/java/org/apache/catalina/startup/ContextConfig.java

Regards,

Rainer

> On 08.03.19 21:58, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 08/03/2019 11:59, Jäkel, Guido wrote:
>>> Good news!
>>>
>>> I reverted the change and this solve my issue at once, i.e. all former installed
applications will start up as expected.

>>> So, please what was the reason or intention here to shift from  getPath() to
 getCanonicalPath()  in case of a link (detected by !file.isAbsolute() )? What's the motivation
to "fully expand" the path here at Java level instead of delegating this to the underlying
OS?

>> Tomcat is an open source project. git (and svn that we used until
>> recently) provides a feature that lets you identify the most recent
>> commit associated with any line of code. Every commit includes a log
>> message. That is usually where you'd find an explanation for why a
>> commit was made. Have you tried looking?
>>
>> Mark
>>

>>> greetings
>>>
>>> Guido

issue ticket leading to this change? I want to know
keep the old behavior. Because in my eyes, the current
is kept -- the context is named by the naming of the
hold for all other aspects