tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Followup2: Changed behaviour of Tomcat Deployment/Context/Lifecycle Manager concerning symbolic links
Date Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:54:45 GMT
Am 2019-03-10 um 12:16 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> On 10/03/2019 09:08, Guido Jäkel wrote:
>> Dear John, Hi Rainer,
>>
>> Thank you for your hints. I leaned to used this features on Github locate the commit
- it's

>> 	https://github.com/apache/tomcat/commit/fd2abbb525660a9968694afd99a58f8c22cb54c6
>>
>> and it was committed by Mark Thomas. I don't know about the Tomcat project policies,
but IMHO in the commit comment there was not any real hit for the motivation for the change
or any reference to an issue ticket or a pull request. There's just one sentence for the changelog:

>>          Ensure that a canonical path is always used for the docBase of a Context
>>          to ensure consistent behaviour. (markt)
>>
>> But I can't get any idea from that what the author (Mark?) want to say with the terms
"ensure" and "consistent". And it's classified as a "fix", but up to now I was not able to
find the use case that is said to be fixed with this.

>>  From my point of view, the change lead to something what might be termed with "inconsistent",
because now the link name is used as docBase, but the link destination is used to decide concrete
aspects of Context loading.

>> @Rainer: I familiarize me with the blame/history feature and have located the commit
with this. But now, please tell me how to object against this change? Should I prepare a Git
pull request against the master repository? Should I open an Issue somewhere? And how to locate
the discussion that lead to this change? This should be tied to prevent flapping and respect
and arrange with the motivation there.

> Changes aren't made on a whim.  It is recommended that you investigate
> why a change was made before objecting to it.
>
> When a commit message in isolation appears to be missing context then
> that context can normally be found on the dev@ list. The 24 hours of
> dev@ traffic leading up to this commit should provide all the necessary
> background.

There aren't any. I see the commit mail in Thunderbird, but no
discussion on the change:

So, what now?