tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Berneburg, Cris J. - US" <cberneb...@caci.com>
Subject [OT?] RE: Tomcat 8.5.13 - random issue with HTTPS (blank page) - working good with HTTP
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2019 13:58:51 GMT
Hi Youness

Please see my comments below

-----Original Message-----
From: youness.dakkoun@bnpparibasfortis.com <youness.dakkoun@bnpparibasfortis.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 7:55 AM
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: RE: Tomcat 8.5.13 - random issue with HTTPS (blank page) - working good with HTTP

> This is the content of the log4j.properties file:
>
> # Root logger
> # console will log to console (local tomcat) or stdout.log im Tomcat/logs log4j.rootLogger=ALL,
console

> # Console appender.
> log4j.appender.console=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
> log4j.appender.console.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.console.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %c - %m%n
>
> # File appender.
> log4j.appender.file=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
> log4j.appender.file.File=PsClient.log
> log4j.appender.file.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.file.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %c - %m%n
>
> # Leave an empty line at the end of the file for unix.

We use Log4j2 in our project too.  While your configuration is specified "log4j.properties",
and ours in "log4j2.xml", I wonder if they are similar enough for comparison.

I see that you define 2 appenders but no logger.  The appenders define what Log4j2 resources
are available, but did you tell it which appender to actually use - the logger?  We also define
both console and file appenders and enable/disable as required with the logger.

As an analogy, you could compare defining Log4j2 resources with getting ready to paint.  Each
resource could be likened to a paint brush.  The color and finish of the paint would be the
layout and pattern.  Maybe you defined a thick brush with blue matte paint as your console
appender, and a thin brush with red gloss paint for the file appender.  The logger keyword
specifies which brush is in your hand.  So without using the logger keyword, neither paint
brush has been placed into the hand for actual use.  The paint brushes (appenders) are just
sitting there unused.

Does that make sense?

I wonder is some of the confusion with Log4j2 is the word "logger" - a generic term versus
a keyword.

Anyway, please note that I am not an expert in Log4j2, so all this could be complete BS.
:-P

HTH

--
Cris Berneburg
CACI Lead Software Engineer

HTTP

> Check your log4j configuration .. make sure it's got a console appender configured (based
on the log file names, it would seem like a console logger will be required).  If you can,
try to post up your log4j configuration .. there will be key classes for logging within tomcat
that must be enabled.

> On 3/6/19, youness.dakkoun@bnpparibasfortis.com
> <youness.dakkoun@bnpparibasfortis.com> wrote:
> > Those are the files on tomcat/logs/*
> >
> > - commons-daemon.YYYY-MM-DD.log
> > - tomcat.gc.log
> > - stdout.log
> > - stderr.log
> >
> > This Tomcat is used inside SAP Business Objects.
> > My questions are:
> > - How we can get better logs on Tomcat ?
> > - Do you already had that kind of behaviour --> From HTPPS you get a
> > blank page and via HTTP it works, this is when I use the url of
> > BIlaunchPad from SAP Business Objects
> > - Is there a tool I can use to have better logging of Tomcat ? or how
> > to set the tomcat config to get more usefull logs
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Youness

[SNIP]